Saturday, May 05, 2007

just an update...

to say that I'm not dead yet. I haven't had the mood/time to blog since I came back from Kuching. Not because I was depressed or anything, but just kinda lazy.

My grandfather's funeral was good? I guess...considering it being a funeral and all. Everything seems to have went smoothly. It was a pretty big chinese/buddhist funeral, a fair bit of money spent. I think around a 100K for everything? Oh wait..thats inclusive of the past hospital stay. The hospital was about 50K... so funeral also about there. Still pretty expensive...considering that some people don't even earn that much in a year o_O

I was only in Kuching for roughly 2 1/2 days? Didn't get much sleep during that time. I stayed up the first night was there to help burn the paper money. You are supposed to keep burning them until the day of the burial. We had a group of monks & nuns come every night to chant prayers. Kinda like the buddhist equivalent of Christians singing in a church. Praise to the Lord type of chants/songs... only for Buddha. There was also a lama who is (or more accurately, was) my cousin.

My grandfather got heaps of flowers were too. Close to 50 bouquets. The most interesting one of which had a card signed off as "20 Bangladeshi Workers" o_O. Workers from my grandfather's old construction company.

At any rate, 'ah kong' (i.e. grandfather) should be resting peacefully now. He has lived a good long life... and passed on without regrets. Incidently, he only passed on after all his sons were by his side. Apparently he held on until my eldest uncle flew back from the states. So yeah...all well and good I guess...

No comments: