Saturday, July 14, 2007

resignation time... and a new phase

don't believe I've blogged this yet, but I've received a job offer from my client to work in their team on a permanent basis. And the money is much much MUCH better (x2 better) than what I'm getting paid now. So hell yeah, I'm accepting it. I can't quite disclose who I'll be working for yet. Some confidentiality clause in my contract in regards to client details and stuff, so I can't post it online. Its amazing how even a site with low traffic like mine can get googled for random terms (my previous company name for instance).

Back to the topic at hand, which isn't much of a topic really. I'm getting crap pay where I am, but decent experience. My client actually approached me a while back. A month ago? I then had a chat with my boss, to see where the company is going, what I can expect next year... blah blah. All the warm and fuzzy stuff. Obviously wasn't too happy when I asked about salary expectations. Goes on about how my current contract is for a year, and that my review is in september, but it was only june etc etc. So I just left it as that. Would have been happy enough to wait till September, since I want to do the right thing by sticking to my contract.

But thennn.. about 2 weeks later, they came back to me with a small raise. About 5% and I think it was across the board for all the graduate consultants. Normally, that would have been really cool, but I had to sign a new contract with them if I accepted it. And theres new clauses in there that state I can't work for anyone introduced by the company. Not only that, it pushes back my review for another year. Which means I would be paid pittance for the work I do for another year, so stuff that.

Initially I was thinking maybe the amount they paid me was what my skills are worth. But I had a chat with a consultant who recently left the company, and he said that I should have been paid much more than that, especially in today's market. So yeah... long story short, I got the ball rolling to start working with my client. That was about 2 weeks back. As of Thursday, we've got formal approval from the division head to hire me. So all we've got left is all the fun legal stuff in regards to our contracts, and then I can tender my resignation.

woot! And 4 weeks after that... or earlier if my company wants to cut me loose. Its on to my next phase in life. The phase of having 40% of my salary gobbled up by the Australian government. Ah well.... at least that means I'm earning more money.

No comments: