Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hmmm. WoW is making me neglect my exercises again. I intended to go for a swim yesterday, but ended up going straight home to play WoW. Wanted to complete a couple of instance quests with Nic and Andy. Ended up failure. Wasted like 2-3 hours because the the other 2 persons we went with were dodgy. Not to say I did great la, but lets leave that aside :p

I don't know what to blog about, so I figure I should explain WoW a little bit. I go on about how much I play...and how much I regret playing it sometimes but I don't think I've blogged about the actual game before.

Anyway, theres a super article on it on wikipedia (duh?) Thats on the entire warcraft universe, not just WoW. All the games, books, etc etc. I'll just just give a basic of basics on WoW, since I'm blogging while I'm doing work as well. Kinda hard to maintain a proper flow of thought when I keep getting interrupted.

First of all, WoW is an MMORPG (short for massively multiplayer online role playing game). Basically means its a game that you can only play online with people all over the world. and WoW is the mother of all MMORPGs to date. 4.5 million subscribers as of November 2005. roughly US$10 a month. Thats a fuckload of money.

Oooo... someone brought cake. Continue later.

Mmm.. yum. some cherry blackforest cake thingy :p Dunno if its a good thing that I'm sitting in front of the kitchen area. Can see whenever the lady brings in cake to work. Have to skip lunch today. I think i'll start eating salads from now on. Hmmm.

Neway, back to Wow. The game is made up of 2 factions. Horde and Alliance. The 'good' guys are Alliance consisting of Humans (you and me), Dwarves (short people), Gnomes (even shorter people) and Night Elves (pretty people). The Horde made up of Tauren (cow people), Forsaken (dead people), Orcs (ugly green people) and the upcoming Blood Elves (pretty people for the Horde).


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My undead warlock on an epic mount



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Night Elf druid, Lulufei. Ah Fei's character


Both characters don't get play cuz we all made new characters on another server to play with Fatts and the rest.

Blood Elves will be a new addition to the game when the expansion gets released. Too many ppl were playing alliance because horde were too ugly. So they needed something to fix the imbalance. The new alliance race hasn't been decided yet.

You start the game by choosing a race you want to play and then your class or the type of character you are. Depending on the faction and race, you can be a Warrior, Priest, Rogue, Mage, Warlock, Druid, Shaman (horde only) and Paladin (alliance only).
You create your character and set off in the world, killing monsters, completing quests, saving the world that kinda thing. Theres a fair bit of stuff to do. Theres professions to choose from (engineering, blacksmithing, alchemy etc) and you can even learn fishing and cooking too.

Theres no real objective to the game. Just lvl your way to 60, collect more powerful weapons and armor, killing bigger monsters. Doesn't end until you decide to cancel your subscription :p You can solo the game for the most part, but theres a lot of stuff that you need to do as a group. You can enter dungeons called instances with party of 5 (and eventually raids of up to 40 ppl) The mobs in an instance are elite, meaning they are much stronger than a normal mob for the same level. Obviously, you get better rewards as well. After you reach 60, you'll mostly be doing instances to get better equipment and stuff. Either that or you PVP (player vs player) a whole lot. WoW has special instances called Battlegrounds (BG) where they match up horde and alliance players. You can pvp in the BGs or attack some towns or cities in the game.

Fark..wrote quite long lioa. Better start concentrating on work :p I'll put up some pics when I go back home kua. Put up some ingame screenshots or something [ed: put up some pics liao]. Make this post more interesting. Too much text can kill.

No comments: